9.24.2007

Welcome Back To Weekly

the middle of a sentence! There aren't many other ways to go about that, now. Last time we saw each other, I left abruptly. And so today I woke up in Paris, a habit I picked up a few months back. I haven't been speaking much French lately, which I'm hoping means I've improved. During Daniel's visit, we spent most of our time in an apartment that would make my mother cry––walking through the red velvet curtains at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the front door is your first introduction to the Paris you always wanted. Daniel put it best, describing the expectation felt while sitting in the salon, that Gertrude Stein was bound to pop out of a dark corner and begin professing a doctrine having something vaguely to do with the upholstered walls and at the same time sprouting cauliflower from her fingers and toes, completely unawares. There are paintings everywhere, carpets blanketing the floors, windows looking out on postcards. This is the kind of environment that makes you feel you deserve it.

No comments: